Wednesday, January 11, 2012

10 Most Significant List


10 Most Significant List (in chronological order)
1. It Happened One Night is a film directed by Frank Capra in 1934 starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. I watched this film because I wanted to watch every film that was nominated for an Academy Award in Directing and Writing (both original and adapted). I had prejudice against old films which was shattered after watching this film. It was so funny that I laughed out loud numerous times (which I rarely do). I chose this film because it was the first of many films which would follow the pattern of two opposites growing close on a road trip i.e. Paper Moon, Tommy Boy, Plains, Trains, and Automobiles, Midnight Run, Bulletproof, Dutch, Romancing the Stone, Rain Man, Due Date, Flirting with Disaster, and many others.
2. The Lord of the Rings, is a novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien in 1955. I read this book after experiencing Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in 2001. I chose this novel for two reasons. The first is because this novel is the Alpha and Omega of fantasy-themed literature. Everything fantasy-themed is a derivative of this great work. The second reason is because the film adaptation was so brilliantly executed that it should be the standard of which all other adaptations are held to.
3. All the Comic Books I've ever read (Placed here because the oldest comic book I own was written after 1955), but if I have to choose one it is Marvel's Civil War series which took place in 2006-2007. This choice is difficult because I own a collection of over 3,000 books. My collection focuses on Marvel but I recently began subscribing to DC Comics due to their historic re-launch (comics starting at #1 for the first time since 1930's). Civil War was not about the American Civil War but rather a war between superheroes with one side fighting for a registration act (heroes as government agents) and one side fighting against. Marvel's Civil War pitted long time friends and allies against each other as well as addressing old superhero questions about secrecy, government collusions, and the responsibilities of power. Comics to me are elaborate storyboards which propel my imagination cinematically.
4. The Simpsons is a television show which has entertained us since its first appearance on The Tracey Ullman Show in 1987. I remember always dedicating time (first Thursday at 7:00pm, then Sunday at 7:00pm) to watch The Simpsons. There is not a memory I have of not watching The Simpsons. I probably don't ever go a whole week without watching an episode and/or quoting a line from this American staple of entertainment.
5. She's Having a Baby is a film written and directed by John Hughes which was released in 1988. John Hughes is one of my favorite filmmakers and I grew up watching all of his movies, numerous times. My family has never gotten together without quoting lines from his movies. I chose She's Having a Baby specifically because of the way Hughes uses a narrator and shows us the inner imagination of that narrator.
6. Defending Your Life is a film written and directed by Albert Brooks which was released in 1991. I love all of Albert Brooks's movies and chose this one to go on my list because of the spiritual nature of the film. I often view the world in the same way Brooks does and enjoy the things he notices about human nature.
7. The Spanish Prisoner is a film written and directed by David Mamet which was released in 1997. I love the dialogue in all of David Mamet's films but chose this one because he manages to deliver the same intensity and suspense without vulgarity. The way the people talk is unrealistic but so enjoyable that you don't care.
8. The Truman Show is a film directed by Peter Weir which was released in 1998. I chose this film for two reasons. The first reason is the acting performance of Jim Carrey which was comedic and refreshingly dramatic when necessary. The second was the way in which the camera played a part in the film. I love watching how Peter Weir transitions from the world's camera, the documentary about the show, and the TV program of "The Truman Show".
9. Best in Show is a film directed by Christopher Guest and written by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy which was released in 2000. Guest's entire set of "mockumentary" films that Christopher Guest has done are fantastic and have been imitated by many i.e. The Office (BBC) and Drop Dead Gorgeous. I chose Best in Show because it is very funny and uses a specific trait, pet adoration, to connect many different types of people each with unique and interesting personalities.
10. The War is a seven-hour documentary about WWII which was aired on PBS in 2007. I enjoy learning about World War II and feel that it is an amazing event in human history. Before watching The War I felt disconnected from the people and the way they were affected during the war. Ken Burns's use of personal story and rare photos/video puts this important period in your mind and in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment